Samsung wearables are increasing in popularity with the enterprise market as many enterprises have begun to adopt the use of wearables, such as smartwatches in their business processes. These enterprises can now manage the Samsung wearable devices using the Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables.
The Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables provides APIs that you can use for device management, customization, or enhanced security.
The Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables APIs are divided into two categories: Standard and Customization. The Knox Tizen Standard SDK includes MDM and Attestation APIs, while the Knox Tizen Customization SDK includes Customization APIs that you can use to customize a device. All of these APIs can be used by Mobile Device Management (MDM ) Vendors, System Integrators (SIs), and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) to create secure solutions for Samsung wearables.
- Standard APIs — configure device hardware, network connectivity, user accounts, apps, and security policies. In an enterprise environment, you can use this SDK to fully control enterprise wearables to meet the strictest company policies.
- Customization APIs — lets you to develop purpose-built devices for B2B market. The ProKiosk feature lets you to develop apps that restrict what users can do on their wearable. For example, you can determine which apps the user can view and run, and prevent or limit access to the underlying system, including blocking the ability to change settings.
- Attestation APIs — verify that a wearable is running official firmware and has not been rooted.
- Supported Samsung wearable devices: Galaxy Watch, Galaxy Watch Active, Gear S3, Gear Sports, Gear S2
Already downloaded the SDK? Jump to next steps.
How it works
You use the SDK to develop an app for Samsung wearable devices, which run the Tizen platform. You need the following:
- Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables — From this web page, download the SDK for use with Samsung wearable devices. This SDK includes C/C++ functions for device management, customization, and attestation.
- License — From this website, you can get enterprise and customization license keys that you need to run your wearable apps.
In an enterprise environment, IT admins typically use a Mobile Device Management system to manage and control company devices, such as smartphones, tablets, wearables, and computers. You can use the Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables to build an app that serves as an MDM agent that receives over-the-air IT admin commands from an MDM console. The console can be connected to a web-based server, which manages enterprise assets such as employee profiles, security policies, and proprietary apps.
If you are looking for a cloud-based service to customize and manage smart watches, see Knox Configure for Wearables.
The Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables includes a set of methods that mirror the Knox Tizen Standard SDK APIs for mobile devices, which are used to support MDM solutions. The SDK includes APIs that can be used to:
- Manage apps — You can install, update, and uninstall apps; start and stop apps; wipe app data; whitelist and blacklist apps that users can install from the Tizen store; disable preloaded apps; manage runtime permissions; and get details about installed apps (version, CPU usage, data usage, memory usage, etc.)
- Manage wearables — You can get device info, available storage capacity, and serial number; restrict incoming and outgoing calls and SMS; manage screen lock settings; enable call logging, SMS captures, and stats; inject events like calls and get screen captures, notification control by package, and restrict S/W update.
- Secure wearables — You can set up password requirements for unlocking devices; encrypt stored data; set up a firewall to allow or prohibit sources from accessing devices; and disable features like the camera, microphone, screen captures, Internet sharing, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, backups, and certificate management.
The Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables provides a set of Customization APIs that enable apps to control wearables. Some features that these APIs control are:
- [New] Automatic call answering — Enable automatic call answering mode on wearables.
- Boot animation — Customize boot and/or shutdown animations.
- ProKiosk mode — Enable or disable ProKiosk mode, which restricts the wearable to a single app and limits the functionality of the device.
- Hard Key — Configure an app to launch on the back-key long press.
- Bluetooth — Toggle Bluetooth state, HID support.
- Moment bar — Show or hide moment bar and notifications in ProKiosk mode.
- Connectivity — Turn ON/OFF Wi-Fi, mobile data, data usage on roaming.
Adding wearables to your employees' set of tools can provide great benefits in terms of productivity, by allowing important information to be accessed at a moment's notice. However, in the context of an enterprise environment, how can you ensure that such devices are safe to use, and have not been compromised by malicious users.
The Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables includes the Attestation API, which you can call to ensure that a Samsung wearable device has not been compromised. It does this by comparing current measurements from the device's kernel versus the expected values, to ensure that the kernel that's being run is authentic. It also checks that the device's Warranty Bit is intact—it's permanently fused when an unofficial boot loader or kernel is installed.
You can call the Attestation APIs to:
- start an attestation check for a device
- relay the attestation blob, or result, to your web server
In the Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables version 2.3.1, the following features are added:
- Create dump log — view your log file easily
- Get device overheat status — respond to when your device overheats
- Always-on-display management — turn AOD on/off to control battery consumption
- Get serial number — gather your serial numbers to provide cloud services for your users
In the Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables version 2.3.0, the following features are added:
- Automatic call answering — allow the device to automatically answer calls
- Runtime permissions control — control dangerous permissions at runtime without user consent
- Screen lock management — allow management of lock screen settings
In the Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables version 2.2.0, the following features are added as part of Customization:
- Certificate management — Install/remove certificates in the Samsung wearable device.
- S/W updates — Control S/W updates by setting user permissions and restrictions.
- Boot animation — Customize boot and/or shutdown animations.
- Airplane mode — Turn airplane mode on/off remotely on the Samsung wearable device.
- ProKiosk Exit Menu — Customize the ProKiosk exit menu to be visible or hidden in the device options.