Knox Customization is a comprehensive set of tools and services that allows businesses to customize and deploy end-to-end mobile solutions.
Use the Knox Customization SDK to develop purpose-built devices for vertical markets. For example, you can develop informational kiosks for hospitality, in-flight entertainment systems for airlines, or point-of-sales devices for the retail industry.
For even deeper customization of Samsung devices, Knox Customization Services offer consultation and development assistance to produce unique software for your business and enterprise needs.
Learn more about Knox products version mapping before downloading your SDK.
How it works
With the Knox Customization SDK, you can develop an app that seals Samsung Android smart phones. You can present just one or a few key apps and prevent or restrict access to the underlying Android system. The Knox Customization SDK includes the Knox Standard SDK, which you can use to further configure and customize smart phones for specific applications.
To customize Samsung Gear devices, see the Knox Tizen SDK for Wearables.
Knox Configure is a cloud-based service that empowers enterprises to configure, customize, and automate enrollment of Samsung devices that are purchased from authorized Samsung resellers. It simplifies the out-of-box experience by leveraging features from the Knox Customization, Knox Standard, and Knox Premium SDKs.
See Knox Configure for more information
The Knox Customization SDK provides these APIs to let Android apps control device features:
- ProKiosk Mode — Enable or disable the ProKiosk Mode, which restricts the device to a single app and limits the functionality of the device.
- Home activity — Set the activity to launch when the home button is pressed in ProKiosk Mode.
- Hard key — Enable or disable hard key intent reporting in ProKiosk Mode.
- Animation — Set boot and/or shutdown animations.
- Status bar — Show or hide individual elements of the status bar, including notifications.
- Quick panel — Add or remove items from the status bar's quick panel.
- [NEW] Power ON/OFF control — Customize automatic power ON/OFF for the devices with the Custom APIs.
- Android Settings — Enable granular access to nearly all Android settings parameters so that each parameter can be individually activated via the app.
- Home screen — Add or remove shortcuts and widgets from homescreen.
- Lock screen — Customize the lock screen shortcuts.
- Notifications — Suppress system-wide notifications to deliver a clean UX to end users.
- USB — USBnet wired IP connectivity, dynamically authorise USB accessories, ADB control.
- Ringtone — Customize the ringtone or notification sound.
- Bluetooth — Toggle Bluetooth state.
- Locale — Set system locale.
- Auto answer incoming calls — Configure and manage auto answer incoming call numbers.
- [NEW] Brightness control — Customize the screen brightness level or configure for auto settings.
For complete details about all the supported features and APIs, see the API Reference.
Knox Customization SDK v2.9 provides following new features:
- Favorite Apps - Control the application shortcuts that are displayed in the bottom row of the home screen.
- Home screen
- Delete home screen page – Remove a page from the launcher including all shortcuts and contents.
- Turn on or off Zero page – The Zero page is the very first launcher page that is used for Briefing or Bixby app.
Existing feature enhancements
- Home screen – New APIs added for adding/removing widgets and shortcuts to include support for the new launcher functionalities.
Knox Customization SDK v2.8 is an update to support Samsung Galaxy S8 devices that are running Android v7.x (Nougat) and above.
Power on and off control
- Customize the power ON/OFF for the devices with the Custom APIs. Using this feature SIs can customize automatic power off when the power is disconnected.
- Customize auto booting when USB power cable is connected.
- Customize the screen brightness level or configure for auto settings.
Knox Customization SDK v2.7.1 is an update to support Android devices that are running Android v7.x (Nougat) and above.
Due to operating system and Samsung device UI changes, a few methods and constants have been deprecated, and will no longer work on Android Nougat devices. While some deprecated items have replacements, others do not.
- a list of the deprecated items, see the Knox Customization SDK v2.7.1 Release Notes
- details about each API method and constant, see the Knox Customization SDK v2.7.1 API Reference
Version 2.7 introduces new APIs for the SystemManager class.
- Home screen — Customize which shortcuts and widgets appear on the home screen
- Lock screen — Customize lock screen shortcuts
- Auto answer incoming call — Configure/manage auto answer incoming phone numbers
- MAC address — Get the device's MAC address
- Power off — Power off the device
- USB type — Configure the USB connection type
For complete details about the API methods, helper classes, and constants added with each new SDK version, see the Release Notes.
Galaxy Xcover series are ruggedized devices designed to withstand the rigours of both water and dust. This device comes with a special hardware key called Xcover key. It is an extra button that can launch specific apps, or the embedded camera app. System Integrators (SIs) can customize the Galaxy Xcover 4 key for their B2B solution.
- Configure an app to launch on the short key press or long key press of Xcover key.
- Key remapping is available for both preloaded app and downloaded app
For details, see the Knox Customization SDK API Specifications for Xcover.
Next steps ...
- Generate a Development Samsung Knox License. To use the new namespace, you will also need to migrate your app to the Knox SDK. If you would like to generate a legacy license, please contact us.
- Get your license keys. For the Knox Customization SDK, you need two keys:
- Browse the API Reference. This describes all the API methods, grouped by Android package and Java class.
- Read the Developer Guide. This describes how to set up the development environment and develop a Knox Customization App.
- Learn about Knox Configure. This is a cloud-based service that empowers enterprises to configure, customize, and automate enrollment of Samsung devices.